Monday, December 10, 2012

Configure FlashDevelop to point to the correct version of Java

After a few Hours, I have figured out how to configure
flashDevelop to point to the correct version of Java.

Problem:
On the command line, when I type: java -version
I get a response that tells me I am running version 6 of Java,
the correct version of Java for Flash Develop.
YET, when I try to compile in Flash Develop, it keeps trying to
run Java from C:\System32\bin\java.exe

Solution:
My JAVA_HOME variable was wrong.
And Flash Develop first checks the JAVA_HOME environment variable.
It also will check the PATH and JAVA variables as well.
But only if JAVA_HOME is NOT supplied. If it is supplied with a bad value,
flash develop will simply stop there and tell you that it failed to find Java.exe


Configure FlashDevelop to run Java from a different directory:
Quick Answer:
Edit JAVA_HOME environment variable to point to the location of
the java install's "bin" folder.
The "bin" folder contains "java.exe"

More detailed answer:
In the FlexSDK:
Location of FlexSDK if you installed it with flashDevelop:
Relative Path: ..\FlashDevelop\Tools\flexsdk
On My computer:
C:\Program Files (x86)\FlashDevelop\Tools\flexsdk

In FlexSDK\bin:
There is a jvm.config file that you can edit to change where
the flexSDK looks for java.

(on my computer: C:\Program Files (x86)\FlashDevelop\Tools\flexsdk\bin\jvm.config)

Looks like editing jvm.config may be helpful if you are running multiple versions of Java on your computer and
want to make sure the FLEX SDK (and thus flash develop) use version 6. As flash develop is not compatible with
newer versions of java.

NOTE:
REQUIRED RESTART OF MY COMPUTER.

Resources:
[1]: Pointed me to jvm.config:
http://www.flashdevelop.org/wikidocs/index.php?title=Configuration

No comments:

Post a Comment